STUDENTS FROM NORWEGIAN PARTNER SCHOOLS WISHING TO STUDY AT AUGSBURG COLLEGE
Academic Year 2017-18
NOMINATION & APPLICATION PROCESS
Semester 1 (Fall) March 1
Semester 2 (Spring) October 1
* Application extensions may be possible on a case by case basis depending on space availability.
In order to participate in an exchange program with Augsburg College a student’s school must have a signed agreement with Augsburg College which includes the authorization of student exchange.
Questions regarding the exchange should be sent to Jim Trelstad-Porter, ISSS Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The student’s home institution first internally approves whether or not a student is eligible for participation in an exchange program. Students should then complete the ON-LINE APPLICATION
together with all requested materials.
After the submission of a complete application an admissions decision will be issued. Next steps in the process include:
- Issuance of a formal letter of admission from Augsburg College for the agreed exchange period
- Issuance of a DS-2019 form and instructions to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa through the United States Embassy
- Application for student housing and a meal plan (both required for exchange students)
- Completion of course selection and registration working with your international office, academic advisor and the ISSS Director at Augsburg
- Enrollment in Augsburg’s insurance plan for international students (all exchange student must have health insurance coverage that meets J-1 Insurance Requirements for every day they are in the U.S.)
- Sign up for incoming international student Facebook group
- Finalization of travel plans
- Activation of your Augnet Account with your Augsburg Student ID
- Payment for the semester
CLASSES AND REGISTRATION
Most Augsburg courses are worth 4 semester credits each. Most Augsburg students register for 16 credits per semester. The minimum requirement for full-time study is 12 credits per semester. Students may enroll up to a maximum of 18 credits per semester, though no more than 16 semester credits are recommended for exchange students.
The student’s home institution makes final decisions regarding the translation and transfer of academic credit and the required number of courses an exchange student must take in order to fulfill the equivalent of 30 ECTS per semester. Questions regarding these issues should be addressed to email@example.com
before a student completes course registration.
COST OF ATTENDANCE AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
The 2017-2018 per semester cost of attendance at Augsburg College for Norwegian students from
partner schools is:
- $6,000 Tuition Scholarship
Room and Board Plan
$0 (FREE - valued at approximately $5,300)
Upon acceptance you will be be assigned an Augsburg ID and will receive instructions to activate your Augnet account Yo.u may pay the amount owed once you are able to access your Augnet account. Payments may be made up until the week of international student orientation.
*While making your payment within your Augnet Account, international exchange students are encouraged to select "foreign currency" as the method of payment for their housing and/or enrollment deposit(s) in order to avoid potentially large credit card fees. These wire transfers are made using Western Union and are generally less expensive. Students who prefer to select “credit card” as their method of payment are advised to contact their credit card company before making payment to confirm any fees that will be assessed
HOUSING AND MEALS
Most exchange students are housed in double rooms in Floorhouses or Townhouses in Anderson Hall. Exchange students are required to purchase one of three meal plans available. Residence Life makes final decisions based upon space availability. Instructions to enroll in housing and a meal plan are found in the Post-Decision section of your on-line application.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR MOVE-IN/MOVE-OUT AND INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION
Attendance at International Student Orientation is mandatory. Students arriving earlier than the 3-day move-in period are responsible for arranging their own housing until the move-in period begins. In the same way, students are reminded that they must move out of the dorms by noon the Friday immediately after the last day of final exams and should plan accordingly when purchasing plane tickets.
- Semester 1 (Fall): Move-in from August 27 to 29; Fall International Orientation from August 30 to September 1.
- Semester 1 (Fall): Move out from dorm room by noon on Friday, December 22.
- Semester 2 (Spring): Move-in from January 2 to 3; Spring International Orientation from January 4 to 5.
- Semester 2 (Spring): Move out from dorm room by noon on Friday, April 27.
J-1 students are not allowed to enter the U.S. earlier than 30 days before the program start date. Additionally, J-1 students are allowed a 30-day grace period in the U.S. after the program end date on the DS-2019.
If you arrive to Minneapolis/St. Paul within the designated move-in dates, someone from the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) team will meet you at the airport. We will help you move into your campus housing and assist you with bedding shopping and starting a local phone plan.
The ISSS team provides a comprehensive 3-day orientation designed to set exchange students up for a successful academic and personal transition into Augsburg College.