Start your investigation of the complexities of healthcare in developing nations in the Dominican Republic this summer. With classroom instruction plus fieldwork in urban and semi-rural settings, you’ll get a close look and new perspective on the social and health issues facing one of the Caribbean’s poorest countries.
GET TO KNOW
a Dominican family while you improve your Spanish language skills.
with and make a difference for Dominican patients and medical professionals as you work at a semi-rural clinic and in an urban neighborhood.
EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE
of pressing international public health issues.
Excursions & Activities
- Complete a ten-day rotation at a semi-rural medical clinic. Support the efforts of health promoters in marginalized urban neighborhoods.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Six-day orientation – an introduction to Dominican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in and around your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Summer Community Public Health Program in Santiago, Dominican Republic
With its underserved population facing a spate of social and health issues, the Dominican Republic offers you fascinating insight into the state of healthcare in the Hispanic Caribbean. Combining traditional classroom instruction with homestays and field work in both urban and semi-rural communities, you will explore firsthand the challenges confronting developing countries.
Study abroad in the Dominican Republic and you will:
- Improve your Spanish language skills through a homestay with a local family
- Examine a range of pre-professional healthcare and issues
- Engage with local patients and medical staff through a health practicum and clinical rotation
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||03/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||07/13/2020||08/09/2020|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.