Step into a fascinating laboratory – progressive, multicultural Amsterdam – and explore the Dutch public health system and local policies on migration, drugs, prostitution, and gender and sexuality in popular culture. Complete your summer experience by exploring the city's trademark canals and welcoming coffeehouses, and traveling to the countryside and other nearby cities to discover more historical pearls.
GET AROUND BY BIKE
it's the Dutch way – and the best way to get a closer perspective of this multicultural city.
FOR A COMPLETE LOOK AT DUTCH CULTURE,
explore beyond Amsterdam with day trips
LIVE LIKE A LOCAL
by catching an outdoor film
Excursions & Activities
- Explore beyond Amsterdam with a day trip to visit a medieval castle, an authentic fishing town, or a second urban area.
- Take a trip to Rotterdam, The Hague, or Utrecht – each significant in its own right – and compare your observations to what you know of Amsterdam.
- ?Take a bike tour through Amsterdam's countryside.
- Relax during an outside movie night at a popular Amsterdam city beach.
- Go to a concert, play, flea market, or a special exhibition in one of Amsterdam's museums.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Dutch culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Amsterdam to Groningen Summer Contemporary Netherlands Studies Multi-Site Program
Come spend the summer in The Netherlands, the perfect site to examine social and public health challenges with a critical lens.
Using the dynamic city of Amsterdam as your laboratory, exploring the Dutch public health system as well as their policies surrounding prostitution, drugs, housing, abortion, euthanasia, and migration. Guided site visits to places like a drug safe house and the prostitution information center provide you with a behind the scenes look at Dutch social policy in practice.
Study abroad in Amsterdam with CIEE and you will:
- Study public health in the Netherlands during Session I and gain a greater understanding of the innovative ways in which the Dutch approach this area
- Study contemporary Dutch social policy in the capital of the Netherlands (Amsterdam) during Session II and learn more about Dutch policies concerning subjects like prostitution, drugs, and abortion
- Live in the practical, environmentally-conscious country of the Netherlands
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||03/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||05/18/2020||08/09/2020|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.