With magnificent art and architecture from every period everywhere you look, it’s impossible not to be curious about the stories behind Prague’s monuments. Luckily, the Central European Studies program lets you choose from a wide array of courses on Czech culture and society including history, media, art, religion, literature, and politics at Charles University. You can also take up to four courses at FAMU, Central Europe’s preeminent film school. Nonstop cultural activities and guided tours will enrich your academic pursuits and make your journey to Prague one you’ll treasure forever.
MAKE YOUR VISIT
official by traversing the Charles Bridge, constructed to cross the Vltava River in 1357.
LIVE IN PRAGUE
like a Czech student, with a Czech flat buddy to show you around, explain local customs, and organize weekly activities in politics, sport, film, music, and more.
HEAD TO CLASS
with a fairy-tale castle and hundreds of church spires as your backdrop.
Excursions & Activities
- Explore Prague Castle, Old Town, historic halls of Charles University, the theater, or opera.
- Take excursions beyond the city to Bohemia and Moravia to get a sense of the surrounding region.
- Join a student group that sparks your interest, in art, community service, film, music, sports, or theater, for example, and see how Czech students are similar and different from U.S. students.
- Join a language exchange program.
- Meet a Czech family.
- Volunteer to teach children English, help people with disabilities, pitch in a library, organize political conferences, and more.
- Gain international experience with a pre-screened internship at an organization that focuses on education, human rights, film, politics, and more. (Students apply upon admission to the program, need approval from their home college or university, and are placed after the interview in Prague.)
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Czech culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Central European Studies Program in Prague, Czech Republic
Staggering architecture, rich cultural history, a turbulent past and exciting future – Prague is as fascinating a city as it is beautiful. And with CIEE’s Central European Studies program, you’ll have the opportunity to make it your own.
Enroll in courses at prestigious, local universities, choosing from Czech language, and a host of academic courses exploring the dynamics of the country, its culture and its place in the region.
Study abroad in Prague for access to the city's unusually rich cultural life – festivals, operas, and concerts – meaning in no time you’ll adopt the “Nejak bylo, Nejak bude” (“Somehow it went and somehow it will go”) attitude make use of the city like a native Bohemian.
In Prague you will:
- Enroll in courses not only at CIEE, but also at Prague Film and Television School of the Academy of the Performing Arts (FAMU), one of the most prominent and renowned film schools in Europe, as well as a special group of courses at Charles University
- Take advantage of Prague’s central location in order to see the many cultural sites of Czech Republic and other European cities, such as Budapest, Vienna, Krakow, or Berlin which are just a train or bus ride away
- Choose from three unique housing options: CIEE-administered apartments, Charles University dormitory, or homestay with a local family
- Discover Czech culture and become good friends with your Czech buddy, a local student of Charles University
- Give back to the local community by volunteering or interning in a Czech organization
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2020||10/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||01/21/2020||05/09/2020|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.