Russian is a challenging language to learn, but if there’s a place to master it, it’s glorious St. Petersburg. With inspiring sites everywhere, plus coursework, homestays, language partners, excursions, and more, you’re sure to get the upper hand. Join 270 million others who speak Russian, with support from Russia’s longest running study-abroad program.
LIVE AND LEARN
in a magnificent 300-year-old city whose entire center is part of a protected UNESCO World Heritage Site.
TRAVEL TO MOSCOW
and other Russian cities to get the bigger picture of Russian culture.
LIVE AND VOLUNTEER
in a smaller Russian town during the Alternative Break trip.
Excursions & Activities
- Explore city highlights like the Hermitage Museum, the Peter and Paul Fortress, the Russian Museum, Pushkin’s Apartment Museum, Baltika Brewery, and more.
- Attend a concert, a hockey or soccer game, get a taste of Russian and Georgian cuisine with cooking classes.
- See a ballet or opera performance in the city where Mikhail Baryshnikov started his celebrated dance career.
- Travel to Moscow for an overnight stay, and take-in the grandeur of the ancient Kremlin, the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, and unique historic metro stations.
- Take a second overnight trip to the Pskov region or Veliky Novgorod to see Russian life outside of St. Petersburg.
- Explore Russia on your own during Independent Russian Travel Week. Students have relaxed on the shores of the Black Sea, camped near Lake Baikal, visited the Olympic city of Sochi, and more. (Expenses not covered by program fee.)
- Lend your voice to the CIEE choir, or audition for the world-class St. Petersburg State University choir or orchestra.
- Meet up with a sobesednik - a conversation partner and peer who will help you adjust to St. Petersburg, practice Russian, and discover local lifestyle.
- Volunteer regularly, and you’ll get back as much as you gain! Help organize donated clothing at a shelter, pitch in at the Hermitage Museum’s archeological department, support the SKA hockey club and more.
- Volunteer during Alternative Break program, and get a different slice of Russian culture. Students lend a hand with community service in smaller Russian towns, such as Arkhangelsk, Kirov, and Tula.
- Help organize a cultural event while you explore a slice of Russian history. Past events include Stilyagi, a project starring the retro-hipster style of the 1960s Soviet Union; Russian Rock of the 1980s; and a Russian Imperial Spring Ball.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Russian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Russian Language Program in St. Petersburg, Russia
Advance your Russian language skills through an intensive and immersive study abroad program in beautiful St. Petersburg.
Whether you’re a intermediate or advanced level language student you’ll enjoy rigorous coursework, and an enriching cultural program of lectures and local excursions in and around one of the world’s most culturally and historically rich cities. And with homestays, peer language partners, volunteering opportunities, and a variety of cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Russia offers you a uniquely immersive international experience.
Study abroad in Russia and you will:
- Take part in the longest running study abroad program in Russia in magnificent St. Petersburg where the entire downtown is a protected UNESCO heritage site
- Live with a local Russian host family for maximum linguistic and cultural immersion
- Participate in optional volunteering projects organized through a well developed network of contacts that facilitate integration into Russian society
- Participate in a cultural program which includes local excursions, field trips, and exclusive tours and performances
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2020||10/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||01/31/2020||05/16/2020|
|Fall Semester||2020||03/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.