With one of Africa's most vital health care systems, Botswana is an engaging place to explore regional social and scientific health issues. Learn from successes and failures as you visit and assist at clinics, public health non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and hospitals. Engaging coursework, community outreach, language learning, homestays, and more will open this inspirational country to you, and stay with you long past summer.
SHADOW HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
to experience how healthcare is delivered in and around Gaborone.
STAY IN A RURAL VILLAGE
and gain insight into the resident's public health challenges there.
VISIT MOKOLODI NATURE RESERVE
full of celebrated African wildlife, like giraffes, rhinos, and big cats.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit a village to discover public health challenges faced in rural settings.
- Practice your skills in Setswana language as you explore historical and cultural sites.
- Get out of the classroom with community-based learning projects.
- Explore Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Bahurutshe Cultural Village, and Mokolodi Nature Reserve – always highlights.
Practicum. Shadow healthcare service providers in government-sponsored clinics and the like, learning about scientific and social health issues, and Botswana's healthcare system.
Volunteering. Make a tangible difference by donating time and energy at an environmental organization, orphanage, hospice group, soup kitchen, game reserve, or women's shelter.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Four-day orientation – an introduction to West African culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Summer Community Public Health Program in Gaborone, Botswana
The Summer Community Public Health study abroad program in Gaborone provides you with an introduction to basic healthcare issues in Botswana. Through coursework, a community health practicum, homestays, and a rich and challenging social environment, you’ll gain a holistic appreciation and understanding of health and healthcare in Botswana. What’s more, the program helps equip you with basic Setswana-speaking skills. This is accomplished through a communicative and interactive approach that ensures you have the basic language skills to engage the local communities.
Study abroad in Botswana and you will:
- Work with local public health promoters on a community health practicum in clinics in and around the city
- Learn firsthand about rural public health issues and the relationship between modern and traditional medicine through a multi-day stay in a rural village
- Explore Gaborone and the area through excursions to places such as the Mokolodi Nature Reserve, Chase National Park, or the Okavango River Delta
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||03/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.