Originally a small fishing village from the 15th Century, Tokyo has remained the largest city in the world from the mid 1960’s. While Tokyo has become known for its outstanding modern and avant-garde features, peppered throughout this mega-metropolis are hotspots of Japanese culture and tradition.
BOOST YOUR JAPANESE
by building upon what you know already... or start from scratch. Everywhere you go will be a chance to practice your new found linguistic skills.
through English-taught courses covering a range of cultural, social, and historical topics
EXPLORE JAPAN’S TREASURES
as you explore on your own, or through CIEE scheduled activities and excursions
Excursions & Activities
- Explore Tokyo through group activities and on your own – there’s always more to see and do.
- Get to the ballpark to see how Japan enjoys baseball... Japanese Style.
- Get out of the city and explore somewhere different… like Kamakura or Yokohama.
- Find your Zen in an actual "Zen Garden".
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Japanese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Summer Japanese Studies in Tokyo, Japan
Old and new. Traditional and ultra-modern. Japan is a country of amazing and exciting contrasts and a fantastic place to spend your summer.
Tokyo, the economic, technical, and political hub of the country, is truly one of the world’s most vibrant and fascinating capitals—and a fashionista’s or gastronome’s delight! With homestay options, cultural activities and exceptional cross-cultural and language training, you can pursue your academic interests while immersing yourself in a challenging, enriching international experience.
With CIEE summer study abroad in Japan you will:
- Learn through a liberal arts and Japanese language curriculum integrated with daily activities; outstanding introduction to Japanese society, culture, and language
- Benefit from the CIEE student service and resource center at the CIEE Study Center, located on the Sophia University campus in the heart of Tokyo
- Visit the Meiji Shrine, Edo-Tokyo Museum, and contemporary and traditional Japanese arts events, including the tea ceremony and taiko drumming; and cultural excursions outside of Tokyo
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||03/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.