The western tip of Europe is steeped in ancient history, creating a rich base to launch a great summer. Come explore Portuguese culture and history. Expand your horizons with coursework and excursions, and make new friends and memories you'll always remember.
GET TO KNOW PORTUGUESE HISTORY
and culture with coursework taught in English.
STEP OUT OF THE CLASSROOM
and learn on the go at museums, monuments, festivals, and more.
EXPLORE BEYOND LISBON
with day- and weekend-adventures to noted towns rooted in medieval and coastal history.
Excursions & Activities
- Take advantage of Lisbon's vibrant theater and historic opera house, plus concert venues, galleries, a dynamic cinemathèque, and summer festivals.
- Experience authentic Portuguese family life with a homestay.
- See more of the country with a day-trip to Sintra, Mafra, or Óbidos, and a weekend in Évora, Porto, or Coimbra.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Portuguese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
CIEE Summer Language and Culture Program in Lisbon, Portugal
Take the plunge and spend your summer immersing yourself in Portugal.
Through rigorous language study, courses in Portuguese culture, homestays and various field trips and excursions, you’ll develop an appreciation of the country and its people while enjoying an intensive, exciting and unique intercultural experience.
Study abroad in Portugal and you will:
- Live in Lisbon, the cultural and economic center of the Iberian Peninsula
- Take language and culture courses offered in both English and Portuguese
- Participate in cultural activities and excursions, including visits to museums and festivals; become familiar with Portuguese history, culture, and current affairs
- Explore on a one day trip to Sintra, Mafra, or Óbidos; and one weekend trip to Évora, Porto, or Coimbra
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2020||03/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.