Explore how India maintains its vibrant traditional medicine systems while experiencing rapid economic growth and modernization.
- Examine folk medicine and other traditional health systems.
- Learn about the institutions, methodologies, and practitioners of traditional medicine in India.
- Visit centers of traditional medicine in Delhi and in rural and urban areas in the Indian Himalayas.
- Learn from a diversity of practitioners and healers, through lectures and site visits.
- Consider how issues such as climate change, globalization, and development may be impacting health services and healthcare access across India.
- Learn to think critically and from multidimensional perspectives about healthcare and health delivery systems.
- Live with a carefully selected host family in rural Nainital, Uttarakhand, for a week.
- See how marginalization affects the lives and health of India’s indigent populations.
- Compare and contrast India’s traditional and modern healthcare systems
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
Key Topics of Study
- Siddha, traditional Tibetan medicine (Amchi), Unani, folk medicine, naturopathy, and other traditional health systems
- How issues such as climate change, globalization, and development may be impacting health services and healthcare access across India
- ?How issues of globalization and India’s modern development agenda affect the delivery of healthcare services
- The institutions, methodologies, and practitioners of traditional medicine in India
- ?How marginalization affects the lives and health of India’s indigent populations
- Ayurveda in philosophy and its practical applications as a healing system
- Yoga as preventative and curative medicine
- ?Indigenous health systems in rural communities in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh
- The Himalayas as a repository of medicinal herbs
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $300 to $3,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2021||03/01/2021 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.