---> Next program planned for either fall 2020 or spring 2021. Contact Andrea at email@example.com for more info
About the program:
- Cinema Sarah Lawrence is a “semester away” program that gives students a full semester of college credits and a professional screen credit listed on IMDb
- Provides intensive, experiential learning that is firmly grounded in the liberal arts
- Semester kicks off with a week-long excursion to the Sundance Film Festival
- 13 weeks on location in Nantucket, Massachusetts, includes classes, hands-on workshops, master classes with visiting artists, field trips, and more
- 25 working professionals on the faculty guide and mentor students
- Cinema Sarah Lawrence accepts no more than 35 students to ensure deep immersion and a transformative learning experience
- The Spring 2019 film production will be based on an adaptation of Jack London’s autobiographical novel Martin Eden
Students earn a total of 15 college credits for Cinema Sarah Lawrence, broken down as follows. You must receive at least a C- or better in each class for them to transfer back to Augsburg. Work with your faculty advisor to ensure credit alignment with your path to graduation:
|Sarah Lawrence Course
||Augsburg Equivalent Requirement
|Literature Studies: Jack London & Friends
|Screenwriting and Directing
|Actors & Directors Master Class (optional)
|Film Workshop (choose from the following):
- Camera Lights Sound
- Producing and Production Management
- Production Design
- Costume Design
||FLM348 + 2 elective credits
Cost & Financial Aid:
Program costs for this program are significantly higher than Augsburg tuition and fees, but nominees will be able to use Augsburg financial aid (both scholarships and grants as well as loans). In addition, both final nominees will receive an additional $4000 scholarship from the program to participate. During the application process, the Off-campus programs office will post a "Cost Estimate" to your application, with details on the program costs, your financial aid, and any gap between the two. You will have the chance to review that and talk with Student Financial Services about payment options or your parents/other loved ones prior to submitting your application.
Augsburg Nominations due May 15:
This program is intensive and fast-paced, so a strong background in Film is required to be successful. It is also a highly competitive application process - students from around the US are competing for one of the 35 student spaces on this experience. Augsburg will nominate up to TWO STUDENTS for this experience.
1. Be a Junior or senior in academic standing
2. Have a minimum 3.0 GPA in the Film major
. If you are a transfer student, you must have demonstrated coursework in Film to the equivalent of a minimum 3.0 GPA
3. Provide a recommendation from a faculty member OUTSIDE the Film department
4. Apply by May 15, 2018
Complete applications on the deadline will be reviewed by the study abroad/away office in consultation with faculty in the film department after the May 15
internal deadline and two students will be nominated. Other qualified students will be added to a waiting list. Nominated students should complete the Cinema Sarah Lawrence application by June 1, 2018
Ready to learn more?
Visit the pages for Overview
-- Application Process -- Schedule
Contact film director and Sarah Lawrence professor Jay Craven
for more info about the courses or overall experience.
Contact Augsburg professor Jenny Hanson
for questions about how this program can fit into your film degree at Augsburg.