Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Coventry, United Kingdom
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Spring Semester
  • Homepage: Click to visit
  • Restrictions: Augsburg applicants only
  • Dates / Deadlines
Program Description:


Location: Coventry, Warwickshire


The University of Warwick is a world-class campus university, ranked 7th in the UK and 51st in the World in 2016, offering an extensive range of undergraduate courses across the arts, science, and social sciences. Located in the heart of England, we are a campus university that has close links to the local area as well as a diverse community of more than 120 nationalities studying and working with us. We are only an hour’s train ride from London, and just a few miles from the historic sights of Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwick Castle. The faculty at Warwick are committed both to their own research and to teaching our students, and provide some of the best research-led student experiences in the UK.



The academic year is divided into three 10 week terms: Fall, Spring and Summer

University Calendar

Available Terms:

  • Academic Year (Fall, Spring + Summer)
  • Fall + Spring
  • Spring  (which equals Spring + Summer terms at Warwick)

General Course/Scheduling Information:
  • Lectures and seminars are mainly held in the Autumn and Spring Terms
  • The Summer Term is mainly reserved for revision and examinations; although there are some subject areas which continue teaching modules.
  • Most modules are year-long
  • In January module availability may be restricted and students are advised consider the part-year module handbook very carefully
  • Special Assessment methods are available for students who leave Warwick prior to the Summer Term or who do not complete a full academic year

Credit Information

Warwick credits
Full modules are only available for the full academic year, and are normally 30 CATS each (7.5 US credits), 
Half modules may be taken in one term, are counted as 15 CATS (3-4 US credits). 

Given the difference in academic terms/credits. students should plan to enroll for a full academic year, fall and summer terms, or spring and summer terms. Fall term only is not recommended unless you do not need to take a full load of credits. If you wish to apply for fall term only, please contact Margaret Anderson in the CGEE office.

Students are free to take courses from any of the Undergraduate Modules Available. Please note that not all Modules are offered for only one term.

At least one module should be selected from the History Department.  

Important Information for Inbound Students



Housing is available on- and off-campus, but it is recommended that exchange students live on campus.

All campus accommodation have cooking facilities. All kitchens have food storage and preparation space, a dining area, washing-up facilities and are equipped with a refrigerator, freezer, cooker, kettle, toaster and microwave oven. 

Warwick campus


The University of Warwick recommends that you plan on approximately $1,050/month to cover accommodation and living expenses.See Living Costs for more information.




For general questions about the program and application process, contact Margaret Anderson at or stop by the CGEE office in the basement of Anderson Residence Hall, Suite 23.

For more detailed information about University of Warwick courses, housing, etc., Lauren McEwan is the Senior Study Abroad Coordinator for North America and Asia
Tel: +44 (0)24 7657 4055


Application Process


Once you have completed the Augsburg University approval process, Augsburg will nominate you as an exchange student. You will then need to complete a separate application for the University of Warwick: on-line application process.

Academic Year: May 31
Spring/Summer: September 30


Visa Information


Cost: approximately $130 (£93)

How do I apply for a visa?

Applications for Short-term Student visas are made online using the application form at


You must prove that you:

  • have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study, for example a letter of acceptance from the educational institution on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).
  • have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • can pay for your return or onward journey


Documents you must provide

When you apply you need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last six months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • You need to provide the original documents.
  • You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

You will need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application. (You can use the Department of Homeland Security Office Application Support Center in St. Paul.)

General Information about Visa Types

Non-EU/EEA students who intend to study for 1 term (about 3 months) or less in the UK:

You will need to apply for a 'Short Term Study Visa'. Depending on your nationality, you may need to apply for this visa before you travel to the UK, or, on arrival when you go through UK Border. In both cases, you will need to obtain a 'Short Term Study Visa' supporting letter from the Study Abroad team.

Is the 'Short-term Study visa' a multiple-entry visa?

If you apply for this visa before you travel (visa nationals and non-visa nationals), then you will receive a 'Short Term Study visa' valid for 6 months and it is a multiple-entry visa.  If you are a non-visa national and you decide to apply for this visa on arrival in the UK, you will receive a 'Short Term Study visa' stamp on your passport. This is a single-entry visa, which means if you will leave the UK during your period of 'study abroad' at Warwick, for example, for a weekend trip to France, you need to apply for this visa again when returning to the UK. Remember to bring all the documents with you including the 'visa support letter', information leaflet and financial evidence in your hand luggage when you return to the UK.

What are the benefits of applying for a Tier 4 visa?
A Tier 4 visa entitles you to work in the UK. Therefore, if there is a possibility you may want to gain some work experience or volunteer experience whilst at Warwick, then a Tier 4 visa would be most appropriate. Our dedicated Tier 4 web pages provide details of how to apply for this type of visa. With a Tier 4 visa you will be given some additional time to travel in the UK after your course end date. Therefore, if you intend to remain in the UK and travel for a short period after your study abroad period
has ended, you should apply for a Tier 4 visa.

What are the benefits of applying for a 'Short Term Study Visa'?
It is cheaper than a Tier 4 visa. Apply for this visa if you do not intend to work in the UK and will leave the UK within 30 days of the course end date. If you wish to come to the UK for a short holiday prior to commencing your studies, this is not prohibited but it may raise doubt about your genuine intention to
study in the UK when applying for this visa. If you decide to do so, make sure that you put on your visa application form that you intend to arrive in the UK before your course start date, why and what you intend to do during these a few days. Our dedicated 'Short Term Study Visa' web page gives details of how to apply for this type of visa.

What are the restrictions of a 'Short Term Study Visa'?
Should you decide to study for longer in the UK it is not possible to switch to a Tier 4 visa within the UK. You are also unable to work (in any capacity, including unpaid work) or take a work placement in the UK. You may be able to do some volunteer work but only in very restricted circumstances (i.e., you can only
volunteer to help a charity or voluntary or public sector organisation, and cannot have a contract of employment; cannot take the place of an employee; cannot receive payment except for travel reimbursement or subsistence allowance). With this visa you will be expected to leave the UK within 30 days of the end date of your course (as per the course end date stated on the 'visa supporting letter' from our Study Abroad team).

Short-term Student visa
If you are a national of a country on the ‘visa national list’ (see UKvisas for this list), you must apply for a Short-term Study visa at a British Embassy (or High Commission or Consulate) or Visa Application Centre before you travel to the UK.

Information about where to apply in each country can be found from the Home Office website. It is possible to make an application for a visitor visa from any country, not just your home country, provided the Embassy in question accepts visit visa applications - contact your nearest British Embassy for more information.

If your country is not on the visa national list you can apply for a Short-term Study visa before travelling (as above), or you can apply to enter as a short-term student on arrival at a UK airport. You should also be able to provide evidence that you can support yourself financially for the duration of your time here. You must also declare your intention to study to the Immigration Officer by showing a letter from the University confirming the details of the course you are intending to follow. The University will not be permitted to allow you to study if this declaration is not indicated on your visa. Please refer to our information on visas suitable for study.

To avoid any problems on arrival to the UK we recommend strongly that all non-EEA students coming for less than six months apply for a visa before leaving for the UK. This is the safest and most practical option.

What financial evidence do I need for a short-term study visa application?

  • You need to show that you have sufficient funds available to support yourself during your visit to the UK without working or claiming public funds; this should include evidence of money to pay for: course fees, accommodation, daily subsistence (meals, etc), onward or return flights. There is no set amount which the Home Office expect you to show for your living costs but you should show that you can cover these expenses. If you were to use the Tier 4 application requirements as a general guide, you should allow at least £1,000 a month for expenses. Entry Clearance Officers will take into account your regular outgoings (e.g. mortgage payments, financial support of dependents) as well as the source of your funds (e.g. your personal salary or that of your parents) when assessing if you have the necessary money to support yourself while in the UK.
  • You should provide evidence of where your income comes from (e.g. payslips, 3rd party bank statements as evidence of transfer of funds.) Where you are being funded by a family member we suggest that you provide evidence of your relationship to them. If you provide insufficient evidence relating to the origin of your funds it is possible that your application may be refused
  • There is no specific length of time that the funds must have been held in your account. However, Entry Clearance Officers are told to make further checks to establish the origin of money where it has not been held for long.

Third Party Support

  • You should declare support form a third party on your application form.
  • Maintenance and/or accommodation support can be provided by a third party providing that they:
    • have a genuine personal or professional relationship with you
    • are not (and will not be) in breach of UK Immigration laws
    • can and will provide support for the intended duration of your stay in the UK.
  • You should provide written confirmation from the third party confirming they will be responsible for your maintenance and accommodation and thier relationship to you.
  • If your study visit is being funded by your Academic Department or you are in receipt of a scholarship then you should submit an original letter which confirms what costs are being met. Unless the letter states explicitly that all your costs (fees, travel, accommodation, meals, etc) are covered, you will still need to provide financial evidence of your own funds.

What other supporting documents should I provide?

  • Please refer to Home Office guidance on what you should provide and avoid including documents which are not necessary
  • You need to submit a short-term study visa support letter from the University of Warwick confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study with us (see above re. how to request this letter).
  • You should provide details of where you will stay during your visit, although we do not advise paying for any accommodation until you have obtained your visa; if you are staying with a friend or family member then you should include a letter from them which confirms this.
  • If you are enrolled at a University in your home country and are coming to Warwick as part of an exchange/study visit, include a letter confirming the dates of your course and your registration status at your home institution.
  • If you are enrolled at a University in your home country and are coming to Warwick to do research (mostly for postgraduate students) or receive research tuition (mostly for undergraduate visiting students), the research must be directly relevant or related to the course, and you must provide confirmation of the course and that the research relates to it from your home institution.
  • If you are employed in your home country then you should provide full details of this in the application form; it may be useful to include a letter of support from your employer which consents to your visiting the UK and confirms your intent to return home at the end of the visit.
  • If you are applying for an 11 month extended short-term student visa for an English course then you may also need to provide a valid TB certificate with your application; see the Home Office website for more details
  • The application form also asks for the details of any friends or family you have in the UK and what you intend to do during your visit - you should answer fully and honestly.
  • You need to show that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your study or at the end of the 6 months whichever is sooner. We recommend that you include details of onward or return flights. It may also be helpful to provide evidence of other ties that you have in your home country, such as family, property or other assets.
  • We suggest that you also read full guidance from the Home Office website, especially if you have had a visa refusal in the past.

What endorsement will I receive in my passport?

If you have applied for a short-term study visa overseas before you travel, you should receive a student visitor visa vignette (sticker) in your passport which will be valid for 6 months.

If you apply for a short-term study visa at the port of entry to the UK, the Immigration Officer will stamp your passport with a short-term study visa stamp or they may handwrite 'VST' for Visiting Student or 'STS' for Short Term Student on a visitor stamp. If the stamp in your passport does not clearly show that you sought entry as a short-term student then you must ask the Immigration Office to make sure it does. It is important that if you apply for the visa when you enter the UK you make it clear to the Immigration Officer that you intend to study here and that you are not entering as a tourist or general visitor.

What do I have to show to the University?

In order to become fully enrolled on your course you will have to complete online enrolment and present your passport at an in-person 'right to study' event where your visa will be checked and a scan taken (this is in compliance with the University's duties as a Tier 4 sponsor licence holder.) More information about enrolment requirements can be found here.

Students on distance learning courses or students coming to do re-sit exams will be required to show their visa to staff at the University each time they commence a period of study engagement (this includes examinations, modules, etc).

If you applied for your short-term study visa when you entered the UK, it is also useful to bring with you the confirmation you showed the Immigration Officer confirming your intention to study here (for example, the study visitor visa support letter).

If you are unsure about which visa is the most appropriate for you then please contact the Immigration Service who will be able to help you.

How do I complete online enrollment?

If you will be starting a new course at the University of Warwick using a short-term study visa, you will be required to provide your passport and visa information during online enrollment.
  • If you will apply for a short-term study visa before you travel: wait to complete online enrollment until you have received your visa. You should then choose 'student visitor' as your visa type and enter the start date, expiry date and visa number (on the top right corner); provide a scan of your passport data page and the visa vignette
  • If you are a non-visa national requesting entry as a short-term student on arrival to the UK:  you can complete online enrollment at any point prior to your arrival. Select 'student visitor' as your visa type; the visa start date should be the date you intend to enter the UK the end date should be +6 months (this will be checked and can be corrected when you present your passport in person); you will not have a visa number, so just enter 'to apply at the port of entry'. Please note, the online enrollment form will require you to upload a scan of your visa before you can complete the process - upload a second copy of your passport, we will scan your visa at an in-person 'right to study' event.


Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Spring Semester 2019 10/01/2018 ** Rolling Admission 01/07/2019 06/29/2019

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.