European Study Center at the Château de Pourtalès
in Strasbourg, France
A study abroad program offered by the non-profit CEPA Foundation
This is a comprehensive semester program which includes: university courses through an exchange program with the University of Strasbourg Ecole de Management, the Science Po, and the Franceh language institute, IIEF. Business, Political Science, International Relations courses, French language courses, cultural activities, multiple excursions, and professional visits are integral to the program. Students can also choose to live in a real French castle during their semester abroad.
The ESC Strasbourg Program Fee includes:
- 12 to 15 US semester credits
- Registration fees in Strasbourg
- Official transcripts from the University of Strasbourg (FRANCE) and West Virginia University (USA)
Students can choose between an 18th century castle, the Château de Pourtalès, homestay, and student residences. Students will share double occupancy rooms with shared bathrooms during the program. Free use of campus facilities at the Château – classrooms, lounges, a computer lab, wi-fi access throughout the facility, a library, laundry facilities, a breakfast room, a student lounge, and student kitchen. Recreational facilities are located on the premises and nearby. Bikes are also available for students to use during the semester (deposit required).
- Welcome reception and group dinner at the start of the semester
- Delicious French breakfast buffet is included every day at the Château de Pourtalès
- Tarte flambeé group dinner
- Group dinner at a restaurant in Brussels
- Special holiday group meal, depending on the season
- Farewell group dinner at the end of the semester
- Optional: $1,500 weekly meal allowance can be arranged. Costs will be in addition to the program fee.
Signature programs included in the ESC Strasbourg Semester:
- Participation in the “Castle Talks” international symposium
- International Career Seminar - CEPA’s unique career support program developed especially for study abroad semester students
- Community volunteer and engagement opportunities at local organizations during the semester
- Yoga classes are offered once a week at the castle. Students can join the classes free of charge.
Trips and Site Visits:
- Visit to the European Parliament
- Visit to the Council of Europe
- Visit to the European Court of Human Rights
- Visit to the EURO Institute
Brussels, Belgium and Verdun, France:
- During your 3 day trip to Brussels, you will visit 3-4 European or international institutions – e.g. European Commission, Council of the European Union, SHAPE, US Mission and / or World Bank Group
- Visit to the German Central Bank in Frankfurt
- Visit to the German Stock Exchange in Frankfurt
- Visit to the German Federal Constitutional Court (Bundesverfassungsgericht) in Karlsruhe
Cultural visits and social activities:
- Guided tour of the Haut Koenigsbourg Castle
- Visit the former concentration camp Struthof
- Day trip to the city of Heidelberg, Germany. Walking tour and visit to the famous Heidelberg Castle
- Guided walking tour of Strasbourg
- Guided tour of the Historical Museum in Strasbourg
- Company visit, e.g. to an automobile company in Rastatt
- Special seasonal party at the castle, depending on the semester: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.
Language and support from the on-site team:
- 6 hours of basic French
- Orientation session and on-site team who will provide you with personal support before, during, and after the program
- One group pick-up will be arranged for all students who arrive at Frankfurt International Airport on the official arrival day and time
- Public transportation pass for Strasbourg for the duration of the program
- All ground transfers for the official activities and excursions included in the program
- Free use of computer lab & internet access at the castle
- Students are also able to use land-line phones at the castle to receive international calls at no charge.
- International health insurance and the French Social Securité insurances are included in the program fee
- Membership to University of Strasbourg's Student Union (semesters)
- CEPA student services and support from the on-site team, including 24-hour emergency on-call support
- The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students from an accredited, higher education institution.
- All majors are welcome to apply.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA required.
- All courses may be taken in English, although the option to take courses in French is available to students with sufficient foreign language skills.
* The EM Business School and West Virginia University are AACSB accredited
Scholarships are available from the CEPA Foundation to students who qualify.
Please visit the program website at: www.studyabroad-france.eu
CEPA Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) international education organization.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2020||10/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.