During this practicum, nursing student are immersed in the Nicaraguan community in the capital city of Managua as well as a more rural community near Matagalpa or Esteli. This practicum has been been developed as a part of a Masters of Nursing graduate project more than ten years ago. The program teaches participants community health nursing as well as the importance of transcultural nursing. Students will meet with experts in community and public health in Nicaragua, community clinics and other NGOs who are addressing the health needs of the Nicaraguan people.
Academic Calendar: Spring Break, 2018
Program Dates: February 18-March 1, 2018
Credits: NUR 410/411: Community Health Nursing: Nicaragua Practicum for undergraduate students; NUR 701 for graduate students.
Faculty and Staff: Marty Aleman, Masters of Arts in Nursing; faculty/staff at the CGEE-Nicaragua site
Meals: Most meals included
Language of Instruction: English
Local Currency: Cordoba
Population of Managua: 2.2 million
- NUR 410/411: These two courses, taught in a hybrid model, include an introductory course focusing on community health nursing as well as a clinical course in which the student examine the major curriculum concepts of community health nursing, within the context of a culturally diverse community. Academic learning is reinforced through guided clinical practicum activities.
- NUR 701: Practicum—Exploring Healthcare Practices in Nicaragua
- Tour of Managua, the old town
- Visit and discussions with a variety of NGOs in the health care field
- Masaya Craft Market
- Tour the beautiful city of Granada
- Picnic at Apoyo Crater Lake
Granada, Nicaragua: Catedral de Granada
Participants will stay in CGEE guesthouse lodging and hotels
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 and be enrolled students in the nursing program at Augsburg.
- Pre-requisites: MP3 Math Placement; All 300 level Nursing courses
Augsburg Nursing students in Nicaragua, March 2016
**Estimated Airfare: $950
NUR 410/411 (4 cr) Minneapolis Campus: $420 per credit
NUR 410/411 (4 cr) Rochester Campus: $410 per credit
NUR 701 (1 cr): $921
CGEE Scholarship: $500
*In-country costs include lodging, meals, ground transportation, on-site programming, translations, and international health insurance. In-country costs do not include tuition.
**This is a flight best estimate; flight costs may fluctuate (lower or higher) depending on market conditions.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|CGEE Programs||2017-2018||12/14/2017 **||Rolling Admission||02/18/2018||03/01/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.